My Pot Roast
Please choose all organic and natural food items when possible.
1 Medium to Larger sized roast, top or bottom round. Choose one that has less marble as possible. So this means not a lot of FAT!
1 whole yellow onion (sliced 1/4 inch thick)
5 garlic cloves (pealed and smashed with a large knife or your rolling pin)
1 medium container of mushrooms
5 large carrots (cut off ends and cut into 3rds)
3 celery stocks (cut off ends and then cut into 3rds)
1 1/2 cups of low sodium beef broth
1 cup of red wine (anything you would drink as the cheap stuff tastes cheap)
2 tbsp. of Italian seasonings (you will find in the spice isle Italian Seasonings)
1. Turn on your crock pot
2. Cover bottom of pot with all the onions
3. Add your garlic
4. Add your carrots and your celery
5. Add your beef broth and your red wine
6. Take your roast and cover it with a thick layer of the Italian seasonings and pack it on for a thick coating.
7. Let the pot warm up on high for 1 hour then turn down to low for 5 hours.
8. After it's done, let sit for an hour before cutting into. When you slice the beef cut against the grain for a tender texture. Cutting with the grain of meat makes for a chewy bite.
9. To thicken the sauce, drain all liquid into saucepan and bring to a simmer. Then mix 1 tbsp. of flour with 2 tbsp. of milk and whisk together leaving no lumps. With your whisk, slowly add flour mix to the beef liquid and whisk into a smooth, creamy, and rich gravy!
10. Slice roast and plate with some carrots and a little of your gravy.
11. I chose to roast some sweet potato and some asparagus to serve on the side.
12. I do not cook my starches or grains in any of my meals due to it limits options. I may want to have this roast for lunch with no carbs from a potato as I may add to my salad or to my sandwich!
13. Watch your portions and follow your caloric intake. A good 4 oz. of beef should do the trick. You can serve up 1/2 of the sweet potato, and tons of veggies!!!!!!!